What is Binance Labs?
Binance Labs is an investment fund of Binance – today’s leading exchange, to support and develop blockchain, along with the crypto ecosystem. Binance was established in 2018 and is headquartered in Hong Kong with a capital of only $100 million. After 4 years, Binance Labs has operated in over 25 countries with a portfolio that has surpassed 100 projects.
The goal of Binance Labs is to identify, invest in, and empower potential blockchain entrepreneurs, startups, and communities, financing projects in the industry that help grow the larger blockchain ecosystem.
Binance Labs Team
Changpeng Zhao (CZ) is a Chinese-Canadian businessman, he is the founder of the world’s largest cryptocurrency exchange Binance by trading volume.
Changpeng Zhao’s official Twitter page has more than 4.6 million followers.
In addition to CZ, Binance Labs also has a huge development team that can be mentioned as:
- Ella Zhang: Head of Binance Labs (Formerly Google’s Key Account Manager)
- Gin Chao: Strategy Officer of Binance Labs (Formerly VP of Strategy and Development for the NBA and Chief Strategy Officer of Dell)
- Ross Barbash JD: Mentor of Binance Labs. (Founder of Blockchain Lawyers Forum)
Binance Labs Portfolio
More than 100 projects that Binance Labs invest in are in the following areas:
- Asset Management
Let’s go through some outstanding projects in each piece of the Binance Labs puzzle!
Binance Labs’ portfolio has 5 projects related to fan tokens, including 1 application platform in the fields of sports entertainment (Chiliz) and 4 fan tokens of leading European football teams.
- Chiliz: Chiliz is the first Blockchain platform built specifically for applications in the fields of sports entertainment. The project applies Blockchain technology to develop a platform called Socios.com, providing users with the ability to both own crypto assets and have voting rights, participate in jobs such as managing clubs sets, games, tournaments… From there, the fans are no longer merely passive spectators, but become active participants contributing to the development of their favorite club.
- The team’s Fan Tokens: AS Roma Fan Token, Atletico Madrid Fan Token, Juventus Fan Token, PSG Fan Token.
NFT/ Gaming and Metaverse
This is the segment that Binance Labs invests the most in, with prominent representatives in the Blockchain Game industry.
- Axie Infinity: Axie Infinity is the game that started the Play to Earn movement, and is also the project with the highest capitalization in the Gaming segment.
- The Sandbox: The Sandbox is a decentralized virtual reality platform (Metaverse) developed on the Ethereum platform. Currently Sandbox also ranks second in terms of market capitalization in the Gaming segment
- High Street: Highstreet is an open-world Metaverse that combines shopping, gaming, NFT, traditional brands, and crypto in one MMORPG.
- Cosmic Guild: Cosmic Guild is the first community guild, where gamers from all over the world come together as a community, united by their love for the game.
This is also a profitable segment for Binance Labs with a huge ROI. Binance Labs continues to promote investment in this segment with a number of recent gaming/metaverse projects such as Nine Chronicles, Heroes of Mavia, Space, etc. Current ROI of some projects (calculated from IDO prices):
- Axie Infinity: +49,038.6%
- The Sandbox: +36,101%
- My Neighbor Alice: +5,724.7%
- Polygon: Polygon (formerly known as MATIC) is a layer 2 blockchain platform created to help grow and scale, while improving existing problems on the Ethereum network such as transaction speed. slow, limited scalability, and extremely high cost of performing tasks
- Harmony: Harmony is a Blockchain Platform born with the aim of becoming a new generation Blockchain thousands of times faster than current Blockchains, to serve a market of 10 billion people with 100 billion devices in the future.
- Terra: Terra is a blockchain network built using the Cosmos SDK that specializes in stablecoin generation. Instead of using fiat or collateral crypto as a reserve, each Terra stablecoin is convertible into the network’s native token, LUNA.
- Kava: Kava is a secure, highly scalable layer 1 network and DeFi ecosystem. Built with the Cosmos SDK and featuring institutional-grade security, Kava’s goal is to increase DeFi’s reach to the general public by providing a valid, trusted, DeFi environment that can the ability to scale to meet worldwide demand.
- Oasis: Oasis Network (ROSE) is a decentralized layer 1 blockchain with Proof-of-Stake consensus, built for open finance, with a focus on privacy and data economy through use Cosmos SDK.
- Celer Network: Blockchain layer 2 combines State Channel and Rollups technology.
Binance Labs has invested in quite a few blockchain platforms, demonstrating a vision with limitations such as Ethereum’s congestion, high fees. The projects invested by Binance Labs also do not come from a specific generation, the fund demonstrates a belief in the intrinsic value of the project. The fund invests in both blockchain platform layer 1 and 2, specifically:
- Layer 1: Harmony, Terra, Kava, Oasis, Moonbeam, Kava,..
- Layer 2: Polygon, Celer Network, Cartesi.
This is a trend promoted by Binance quite enthusiastically. Binance Labs continues to invest in Web3 solutions recently.
- Biconomy: Biconomy is a multi-chain transaction infrastructure whose mission is to make Web 3.0 easier and more ubiquitous.
- Automata Network: Automata Network, a decentralized service protocol that provides privacy middleware for dApps. The automation network addresses issues with Web3’s transparent and traceable interactions.
- Manta Network: Manta is a private layer built on the Substrate platform and supports the entire Polkadot ecosystem. This Web3 security protocol is designed to privatize crypto assets.
Binance Labs has invested in many DeFi projects, some typical projects such as:
- 1inch Network: 1inch is a DEX and Aggregator. Instead of acting as an exchange, it splits orders between many other DEXs and private liquidity providers to find the best possible exchange rate. In its current state, 1inch supports more than two dozen sources of liquidity.
- Symbiosis Finance: This is the latest DeFi project invested by Binance Labs. Symbiosis Finance is a multi-chain liquidity protocol that allows users to perform any cryptocurrency token swap on multiple blockchains with just one click. Currently, the protocol supports 4 networks including BNB Chain (formerly BSC), Ethereum, Polygon, and Avalanche.
- Injective Protocol: Injective Protocol is a project that is building the future of DEXs, a Deritiative, that gives everyone full control of their coins and anonymous transactions through a secure exchange system their full peer-to-peer.
The projects Binance Labs invests in in 2022
In the first 2 months of 2022, the fund has invested in 12 projects in the main areas of NFT/Gaming, Web3, Metaverse, DeFi. In which, the investment of $ 40 million in the Oasis ecosystem – an emerging ecosystem with the ambition to build DeFi, Web3 and cross-chain solutions is the largest investment of Binance Labs.
In general, in the midst of a gloomy market, Binance Labs still regularly invests in trends from 2021, showing part of the fund’s confidence in Metaverse, NFT or Gaming.
In addition, according to information provided by Binance, the Incubation Program in 2022 will focus on Infrastructure, Blockchain analytic tools, Security and privacy, DAOs – very potential and unexploded segments.
Binance also has not invested in a Gaming Guild yet except for the Cosmic Guild project at the end of December 2021, while other top-tier funds are very interested in this area.
Binance Labs is a big and reputable fund. It can be seen that in 2021 Binance Labs has earned extremely “huge” profits from its investments. How will Binance Lab invest in projects in 2022?
Above is all information about Binance Labs Investment Fund, Binance Labs team as well as investment portfolios of this fund. Wish you have the correct investment decisions.