What is Delphi Ventures?
Delphi Ventures is a new division of the Delphi Digital company. They focus on developing projects together, analyzing data and interviewing key personnel, providing long-term financial and intellectual capital for promising projects in the Crypto sector.
Delphi Digital is a leading Research company for individuals and institutions. They approach the market using dynamic, multidisciplinary approaches that combine traditional pricing methods and economic principles with concepts specific to decentralized systems.
Delphi Ventures Team
Tom Shaughnessy: CO-Founder and GP of Delphi Ventures. Also the founder and lead crypto analyst at 51persent Crypto Research before merging and becoming part of the Delphi Digital team.
Delphi Ventures’s Portfolio Overview
The Layer 1 ecosystems that Delphi Ventures has invested in are: Terra, Solana, Thorchain & Pontem Network. In general, these platforms will likely build protocols and Dapps on top of them to increase adoption of the native platform.
- Terra and Thorchain are built on Cosmos.
- Pontem Network is built under Polkadot’s Substrates Framework and plans to become the Parachain of Kusama Network.
DEXs are cryptocurrency exchanges built and operated in a decentralized manner on the Blockchain platform.
In this array, Delphi Digital chooses dYdX, one of the most famous Perpetual Swap at the moment next to Perpetual Protocol. The year 2021 is one of the important milestones of dYdX, when the project conducts an Airdrop for users, but the strange thing is that the price did not dump too deeply, but on the contrary, there was tremendous growth.
In addition, Trader Joe’s is also an interesting deal, when Delphi Digital did not invest at the beginning (Trader Joe has done Fair Launch since launch).
Finally, there is Astroport, a potential DEX on Terra with a multi-pool model like the Trident version of Sushi.
Lending & Borrowing
Lending is a form of users using their assets or money to lend to other people (Borrowers) at a certain interest rate. Lending & Borrowing is one of the arrays with not many projects in Delphi Digital’s investment list.
- Anchor (Liquidity Pool) is a Money Market Protocol with similar functionality to Compound built on Terra.
- Alchemix (Yield Optimizer) provides users with instant, flexible and self-repayable loans over time.
- Mars Protocol is the first Money Market protocol on Terra.
- APWine (Yield Optimizer) allows users to tokenize their profits into Tokens. This allows Farmers to trade interest rates.
Yield Farming is about users trying to generate as much profit as possible from their crypto assets, through providing liquidity for DeFi protocols. Prominent in this segment are Harvest and Alpha Finance Lab.
- Harvest Finance (Yield Farming) is an automated Yield Farming protocol created for users who want to use their assets to create a Farming opportunity with high APY.
- Alpha Finance Lab is an ecosystem of DeFi products that will link together to maximize profits while minimizing risks for users. Alpha products are focused on capturing the unresolved need in DeFi in an innovative and user-friendly way.
Another sector that I find Delphi Ventures also quite focused on is derivatives. It is worth noting that all of these derivatives platforms are yet to launch products:
- Arrow DFMs provide an efficient decentralized settlement systems that allow users to create Options for any asset with a public asset price.
- Charm is a decentralized Option Platform and allows users to create, trade, and provide liquidity of options through the AMM mechanism.
- Vega is a decentralized infrastructure that allows anyone to create Derivatives products and related marketplaces.
NFT Gaming and NFT Infrastructure are also at the heart of Delphi Ventures’ plans or investments:
- NFT Gaming: Axie, Illuvium.
- NFT Exchanges: Recur.
- NFT Infrastructure: Fractional, Upshot, Yield Guild Games.
Of course, in the portfolio of Delphi Ventures there are many other projects in many different fields, due to the lack of relevant data, I do not mention much:
- Platform Fund: DeFi Alliance.
- Query: Covalent.
- Wallet: XDEFI.
- Insurance: Armor, Nexus Mutual.
- Assets Management: Syndicate Protocol.
Ecosystems in Delphi Ventures Portfolio
In general, Delphi Ventures invests mainly in Ethereum but they also invest in prominent projects in other ecosystems:
- Ethereum Ecosystem: Axie Infinity, Armor, Fuji Finance, Uniswap, Charm, Empty Set Dollar, Frax Finance, MCdex,…
- BSC Ecosystem: BSCPad.
- Solana Ecosystem: Solstarter.
- Cosmos Ecosystem: Terra, Anchor, Thorchain.
- Polkadot Ecosystem: Pontem Network.
- Avalanche Ecosystem: Arrow DFMs.
In addition, there are also projects under Concept Multichain or Support more than 1 Chain: Alpha Finance, Sushiswap, Covalent, Harvest Finance, Thorchain, Zapper, Vega.
Of all the ecosystems that Delphi Ventures is investing in above, I feel that Ethereum and Cosmos (Terra, Thorchain) are the two ecosystems that they are focusing on supporting the most:
- Ethereum: Shown right in Delphi Ventures Portfolio (½ of active projects per Ethereum). In addition, Delphi Ventures is also very bullish on the launch of Layer 2 scaling solutions for Ethereum (Arbitrum, Optimism, Starkware, ..). They are also very active in producing Layer 2 related content to their community through Delphi Insights.
- Terra, Thorchain: In addition to being an investor, Delphi Venture also directly supports the construction of 2 ecosystems for Terra and Thorchain. For example, they are working with Terra and Ideo Lab to start a Hackathon focused on building Dapps/Protocols for DeFi on the Terra ecosystem.
Delphi Ventures Portfolio Review
Of the more than 30 projects that Delphi Ventures has invested in, about a quarter of them have already released Tokens and Listed exchanges, the rest are in the early stages, MVP or have not yet Launched Token.
In which, 15 projects have issued Tokens and List of exchanges: Terra (LUNA), Solana (SOL), THORChain (RUNE), Anchor (ANC), Alchemix (ALCX), Harvest Finance (FARM), Alpha Finance Lab (ALPHA). ), Nexus Mutual (NXM), Armor (ARNXM), BSCPad (BSCPAD), Axie (AXS), Sushiswap (UNI), Uniswap (UNI), MCDex (MCB), Frax Finance (FRAX).
Top 6 projects with the best performing Token in Q1/2021 are: LUNA, SOL, RUNE, ALPHA, AXS, BSCPAD.
In addition, among the projects that already have Tokens in Delphi Ventures’ Portfolio, there are also other prominent projects, Anchor, Alchemix (ALCX), and Harvest Finance (FARM), they absolutely have the opportunity to list on major exchanges. like Binance in the near future.
Age of projects in Delphi Ventures’ Portfolio
Among the projects with Token and exchange list, only Bitcoin, Ethereum are the 2 oldest Crypto projects (more than 5 years) that Delphi Ventures has invested in (from the time of Token List on the floor).
The majority of Delphi Ventures invest in DeFi projects that are from 2020 or 2021.
All in all, Delphi Digital is looking to a multi-chain future, which is reflected in their portfolio and the way they communicate.
But because of technical limitations at the moment, Multi-chain Dapp/Protocol is not feasible yet, projects usually start at a specific Chain (mostly Ethereum) to attract users and continue to build For longer-term goals, two typical projects are: Alpha Finance Labs, Thorchain, …
On the other hand, Delphi Digital is very Bullish into the future of Ethereum and the L2 scaling solution for Ethereum (Arbitrum, Optimism, Starkware,…).
Above is all information about Delphi Ventures Investment Fund. Hope you have gained more knowledge as well as consulted Delphi Ventures to set up an effective investment portfolio.